Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My initiation into the art of making Indian dresses

Learning to make Indian dresses was always one of my wishes which I couldn't fulfill. But now I finally started learning to make them.I was looking forward for my for this class for a long time.

On the first day I learnt the basics of stitching like hemming, plain stitch, stitching buttons and hooks and basting. My first practice was basting the cloth as a temporary stitch and then hemming. The image below shows sketch of what I did and the next image shows the one I did. I was proud that through this CAS activity, I can develop a new skill and get more aware of my culture.



     
I then learnt stitching buttons and hooks on the same cloth. My teacher started of my by teaching everyday useful skills needed. This would help me make dresses like salwaar kameez in future. This creativity required a lot of perseverance and patience. I had to work collaboratively with my teacher.


Photos of my work when I was learning to stitch buttons and hooks. :)

This is what I learnt in my first class. I liked my class a lot as I always enjoyed this art. I would make sure I won't miss any class so that I can learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment